You might be wondering where you can find some good places for your design projects in Toronto. Well, since we are a fashion school we have some great suggestions for you!
1. Designer Fabrics located at 1360 Queen St. West and it’s a great place to go! We love that they have have a large variety of fabrics like jersey and spandex. They even have a full two floors of fabric including trimmings, waistbands, buttons, and zippers which is extremely convenient. This is an especially good store for those who are interested in interior design as the main floor has a ton of selection of upholstery fabrics. The fashion fabrics are found upstairs, and the trim department is also on the ground floor.
2. The Workroom is another one of our favourite spots to hit when fabric shopping. It’s located right down the street from Designer Fabrics at 1340 Queen St. West. They mainly have cotton (super cute!) prints which we love , and have patterns for beginners. They also have machines that are available to rent if you don’t have one for only 7$ an hour!
3. King Textiles is located at 161 Spadina Ave. This store is great if you live downtown and is definitely a go-to store for fabrics. They are similar to Designer Fabrics in that they have a variety of fabrics and even another floor dedicated to zippers and trimmings. Another great thing about King Textiles is that they offer a student discount…and who doesn’t love a good discount?!
4. Lida Baday a renowned Canadian fashion designer based out of her studio at 70 Claremont Ave. She sells left-over European luxury fabrics from her collection at wholesale prices — perfect for that evening gown you’ve been thinking of making. By appointment only.
1. Sewing and Leather Supply Depot located at 204 Spadina Ave. It’s great for you’re sewing needs and is cheap and affordable which is great! You can find the following here:
basically all of your essential fashion needs.
MACHINES AND MAINTENANCE
1. World Sewing and Supply Depot located on Queen St. is great for machine repair or replacements! They have a great selection to choose from and is definitely a go-to spot for machines and repair.